“Look at every path closely and deliberately, then ask ourselves this crucial question: Does this path have a heart? If it does, then the path is good. If it doesn't, it is of no use.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Thursday, July 26, 2007

I still hate call ...

"Amor Fati – 'Love Your Fate', which is in fact your life.”
~Friedrich Nietzsche


After a long day in the OR, my chief resident asked me who was on call as we finish up or last case. As usual, I had no idea who was on call. I look down at my Motorola Q and check my calendar. July 25th Call. Damn. I inform my resident that I am on call. He informs me of a case in the ER. It is only 530pm so we should be able to get that done and I will be out of the OR and off to home for R&R.

We complete the case. I say to my anesthesiologist, I'll see you when you get back from vacation. I made the bad assumption that I would not have to come back tonight. Sniffle, I think I am getting a cold. I get dressed and grab my keys from the office. There are a ton of papers on my desk. I'll get to that tomorrow.

I start walking down the stairs to my car. I send a text my wife to grab me something from San Sai. Then, my phone rings. Dr. F. Why is he calling me? I am not on adult call.

Dr. F says, Yeah, Dr. P, there is an open ...

aaaaarrrrggghhh, I guess I can't push that off until the morning.

I got a coke and back to the OR.

I hate call. No matter how long I do it. Being called in never gets any easier, it may even get hard the older you get. Well, at least I didn't get called in right after I started to fall asleep. There are worse things in the world.


“Through humor, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. And once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it.”
~Bill Cosby

No comments: