“Look at every path closely and deliberately, then ask ourselves this crucial question: Does this path have a heart? If it does, then the path is good. If it doesn't, it is of no use.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Saturday, July 28, 2007

"... there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident."

“When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite.”
~Winston Churchill



I had some interesting comments on a previous post. A post that I didn't think would get anyone upset. OK, maybe one or two radiologists. It is all in fun. It was a bit of a rant or may be even a vent. Anyone who has worked in a hospital has had an experience where a service was being difficult. Patients being on your service instead of a more appropriate service. Orthopaedics is definitely one of the offending services. As a resident, I always appreciated when an attending went to bat for me. That was the basis of the post and not the actual argument.

For the young physicians, I do believe that those who are above them should take their side. Sometimes it feels like a war. Attendings are the leaders with residents and medical students being their soldiers. It got me thinking. The hospital is like a little war ground. Every service is fighting for their little piece of the pie. With that thought, I started another blog. Basically, it is a story about the battles between services. I call it the University Hospital Crusades. For anyone who is interested please visit and make suggestions of where you think these stories should go. It is an evolving story that will include all specialties. So for those who are not in orthopaedics, your suggestions will definitely be helpful to deter some of my surgery bias.

“I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill.”
~Mahatma Gandhi

No comments: